CENDARI Visiting Research Fellowships
Call for 2013 Fellows – NOW CLOSED
Applicants will be notified of the results in April 2013
The CENDARI project is a four-year collaborative research infrastructure project aimed at integrating digital archives and resources for medieval and modern European historical research. The focus is on two pilot areas for research: the First World War and medieval European culture. The project is funded by the European Commission’s Seventh Framework Programme for Research.
CENDARI fellowships will be available in a number of the partner institutions. These visiting research fellowships, which are funded by the European Union’s 7th Framework Programme for Research, are intended to support and stimulate research relevant to the objectives of the CENDARI project and its infrastructural host institutions by facilitating international access to key archives, specialist knowledge and collections in the partner institutions. In particular, the CENDARI project is committed to hosting early career scholars who aim to apply digital humanities methods to historical enquiry in the areas of medieval European culture and the First World War, and to ensure this research is integrated through the CENDARI research infrastructure. The fellowships are particularly designed to support researchers from countries without equivalent facilities and early career scholars with limited access to these research infrastructures. This Call is the first in a series of three annual calls for fellowships by the Cendari project.
The following CENDARI partners are offering two fellowships each for 2013 on a competitive basis:
• Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
• King’s College London, UK
• National Library of the Czech Republic, Czech Republic
• University of Göttingen, Germany
• University of Stuttgart and Bibliothek fuer Zeitgeschichte, Germany
The descriptions of the above institutions are included in the Terms and Conditions (Annex 1), which can be downloaded below.
CENDARI visiting research fellowships include a stipend for housing and living expenses as well as travel to and from the inviting institution. Details of the stipends available at each institution are included in the Terms and Conditions (Annex 1) which can be downloaded below. Recipients will be responsible for securing visas, where necessary. Fellows will have access to the research infrastructure of the respective CENDARI partner institution including access to a workspace and a networked computer. The length of the researcher’s stay will be from 8 to 12 weeks, but the fellow may extend the stay at his/her own expense and in accordance with the regulations of the host institution and visa regulations.
Duties of the CENDARI Fellows
Duties of the CENDARI Fellows
All CENDARI Fellows will be expected to:
• Work within a clearly-defined programme of research activities which contribute to your overall research goals whilst utilising the collections and/or the knowledge infrastructure of the chosen CENDARI host institution
• Deliver at least one lecture, workshop, seminar or master-class relating to their research project at the host institution during the tenure of their fellowship
• Participate in a limited number of expert seminars and contribute, where appropriate and relevant, to the ongoing development of the CENDARI project and infrastructure
• Submit a short written report on their progress at the end of the fellowship
• Make their findings, where applicable, available to future users of the CENDARI enquiry environment
• Provide the CENDARI project Coordinator with one copy of any publication which results from the research undertaken at the host institutions
• Publish the results of their project through the appropriate channels, making reference to the support given by CENDARI and the EU
• Fellows will be expected to spend at least 3 days a week at the host institution to conduct research on their research project. Research at other institutions in the vicinity of the respective host is encouraged.
Time Period for the Fellowships
Applicants are asked to indicate three potential start dates and the proposed duration of their research period on the application form. The start and end dates of the fellowship will not be finalised until agreed between the successful applicant and the relevant host institution.
All application materials must be submitted in English and via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application must include the following:
• A completed application form (see Annex 2).
• A curriculum vitae (maximum 2 pages).
• A proposal (1,500 words maximum) describing the research activities that the applicant plans to undertake during the term of the fellowship and how this research fits into the overall objectives of their own research. The proposal should include a work plan and list of the expected outputs from the stated research activities, outlining the relevance of the proposal to CENDARI, as well as an explanation of which institution the applicant wishes to apply to and why this choice fits the chosen research topic. CENDARI reserves the right to propose an alternative institution for applicants.
• Name and contact details for a referee who is familiar with the applicant’s work and may be contacted directly by CENDARI.
• In the case of applications by Ph.D. students, the application should include a letter of recommendation from their supervisor
The closing date for receipt of applications is 12th December 2012. All applications should be sent by email to email@example.com with the title “CENDARI Fellowship 2013” in the email title line. All applications received before the deadline will be acknowledged by return email. If you do not receive an acknowledgement email within two working days of submission of your application, please contact us immediately.
- Application complies with the Terms and Conditions and is complete
- Applicant is at PhD student level or above
- Applicant works or studies in an institution established in an EU Member State or associated State
- Research proposal is realistic and appropriate for the selected host institution
Note: Only applications which satisfy all of the above Eligibility Criteria will go forward for assessment against the Award Criteria (please see Terms & Conditions)
For complete information, please download the Terms & Conditions and Application Form below.
For all queries in relation to the Call, please contact Ms. Deirdre Byrne, CENDARI Project Officer, Trinity College Dublin by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.